HD LAB ENTRY #105: Carp Caviar

My contribution to Erik Nelson’s CARP CAVIAR series.

Bottom Union’s Head Man Erik Nelson has allowed me to create this week’s Carp Caviar installment. I don’t know how to explain what Carp Caviar is, but Erik came close when he termed my entry, “a fever dream in video form.”

Watch more Carp Caviar tagged videos: http://blip.tv/posts/?topic_name=carp%20caviar

Directed by: Chris Weagel

About Chris Weagel

Chris Weagel writes about the intersection of technology and parenting for Wired Magazine. No he doesn't. He can't stand that shit.

24 Responses to “HD LAB ENTRY #105: Carp Caviar”

1. Will Luers 03/16/06 at 2:06 pm #

uh, wow.
    speechless.
    dense, biting, funny, personal – video blogs are surpassing tv and movies by the day…

sorry to reduce your incredible work to technicals, but was this all in Final Cut?

2. ZuDfunck 03/16/06 at 2:20 pm #

That’s It!

It’s Over!

You are a true genius…

I surrender the crown!

3. Enric 03/16/06 at 4:24 pm #

Amazing — very impressed by the work you’ve done on this one.

4. Zadi 03/16/06 at 7:09 pm #

You should bottle up bits of your brain and sell it like crack. You’d make a fortune. (and I’m not condoning the use of crack.)

5. michaeljboddy 03/16/06 at 9:25 pm #

Simply breath taking. ILM could not have done it better. A beatiful social commentary on daily trials and tribulations of Billy the Big Mouth Bass.

6. C 03/16/06 at 10:51 pm #

fuck I thought I would be able to get to say something cute about Billy the Big Mouth Bass…

Be very proud of yo’self.

7. nelson 03/17/06 at 4:43 am #

I like the way you said I allowed you…more like jumped for joy.
    This effort has, without a doubt, raised the bar. I am now forced to recommit myself to what I’m busy with, as soon as my technology gets greazed and fixed.

Also, since he doesn’t leave many comments, I got this in an e-mail from a close friend. He’s a real critic:

Definitely saw the CC by dog-boy. Very good. I think the intro – the first 40 seconds or so… up to the garden-of-eden animal scene and the talking fish, are GREAT. Eerie and very serious feeling and creative… really nice.

8. nelson 03/17/06 at 4:55 am #

Also, forgot to mention…that cut where you zoom in to Nixon wetting his lips with his tongue. QUALITY. This cut will be studied long after you’re gone, college students will write papers on the effect of this cut, and other professorial units will dedicate entire lectures to it. And all of this will take place in an alternate CC reality, where cuts like this become the norm, no longer is it jarring and humorous, but commonplace…the people plug their entertainment into their melon boxes, numbed like a drug.

9. Sara Weagel 03/17/06 at 12:01 pm #

dog-boy.

10. Lack-a-days-icle 03/17/06 at 1:14 pm #

Every now and again something comes along, a wrench in the gears, that makes us pull apart the machinery and reevaluate what we’ve created. In the short history of Video-blogging this seems to happen weekly…Prof. Weagel has left us with a pile of parts to contemplate…and I look forward to what will come out of the reconstruction.

11. Nathan Miller 03/17/06 at 2:24 pm #

You did it again! This clip is brillant! I will tell all my friends about what is happening at Human Dog. Yes! Prof. Weagel a master of his tools!

12. juan carlos gonzalez 03/17/06 at 9:24 pm #

Astonishing!

Branded into my brain.
    Inspiring to the mind.
    Provoking to the heart.

13. Kevin Buckstiegel 03/17/06 at 10:20 pm #

usually i have a bad habit of skipping through videos without watching them all completely… i just made up for all of that via this video, as i can’t stop watching every second of it over and over and over… so wonderful! (even more-so then usual!)

14. missbhavens 03/21/06 at 9:31 pm #

ok–well THAT was frickin’ NUTS! I am both totally impressed and utterly unnerved. Delightful, perverse, candy-coated freakorama.

Mission accomplished.

15. ryanne 03/31/06 at 1:02 am #

i’m so behind
    i just watched this
    agreed
    i’m speechless
    so good chris
    so good it makes me SICK
    (for old time sake)
    i know the time it took to make this
    and as you can see we all appreciate and look on in terror and awe
    so damn good.

16. Rick 04/02/06 at 7:04 pm #

To read these comments one would think you were a spielberg or even a hitchcock – alas, you are just a man who was dropped on his head as a boy. Spielberg fell down a whole flight of stairs as a child and rumors have Hitchcock being pushed down 2 flights….ahhh. On the other hand, you do frame a shot better than most.

17. Prof. Chris Weagel 04/02/06 at 7:55 pm #

Well, Rick you didn’t watch this in a theater.

18. Verdi 04/04/06 at 9:40 am #

I have nothing to add really except more praise. That just kicked ass. Very inspiring Mr. Weagel.

19. schlomo 04/04/06 at 2:41 pm #

The death of Rupertus is a sad thing, indeed.

But at least Nixon didn’t eat him. That would be a fate worse than death– feeding the Beast.

20. maggie 05/27/06 at 9:20 am #

A……or B? A…………….. or B? A……………………………. or B?

Destiny, destiny, destiny, DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!

21. AliaK 05/28/06 at 6:20 am #

love it! keep up the great work.

22. Mike Zwarts 10/04/06 at 9:53 pm #

Interesting video. I was wondering where you got the archival, including the Nixxon footage. I like the idea of it being surreal and that the audio was recording in stereo.

Kind of creepy.

23. Mitch 11/15/06 at 1:28 pm #

You’re a freak.

I don’t know what this is but I love it.

24. Agent CatstiX 10/15/13 at 7:37 am #